Friday, March 28, 2008

Language Problem

i'm so glad that i had an experience to study in a class full of students from all around the world, who were all trying to defeat one super duper complicated language called German.
the first couple of months in this class were really tiring. my German knowledge was still a big nothing that time. i tried to put a high voltage consentration on the lessons, so that i could at least figure out the outline - if not the whole sentence - of what my two beloved lecturers were saying.
it wasn't only me who faced this difficulty, so was my fellow students. their german lang were nearly as poor as mine and for our own good we were not supposed to speak in other langs. so we talked with "our own German", with a lot of "nggg....", "mmm....", "let me see my dictionary", or a long explanation for one single word, etc. body-lang and face expression took a large part too.

funny is, i understood my friends better than i understood the teachers, and the students understood each other better than the teachers understood us. yes it's true! sometimes the teachers didn't understand what a student wanted to say, but the whole class knew what he meant. that's because the german don't use the same expression or the same synonym as (i guess) other people in other parts of the world do.
anyway, my old german class made me feel like i was living in the babel city. i miss them so much!!!

1 comment:

mario said...

Well.. with your German ability which is far better than mine you still have that difficulties..

I wonder if I were in your position, hahaha..

I am facing the same difficulties here too stell..

Good luck..